Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sickie Baby





My poor little guy has pink eye, and a blocked tear duct. :( I don't know who he got it from, because I make everyone wash their hands before they even look at Nic, so I honestly don't know where I went wrong. I asked the doctor if it was because I take him out so often, and she said no.. but she's not our regular pediatrician... so I'll wait until Friday when we go for his follow up/ 1 month check up, and see if our real doctor says anything about it. On the plus side, I guess he's building his immunities, but it's still not something I like happening. I mean, he's not even a month old yet, and he's already had his first Rx. His very expensive Rx might I add... but the drops are doing the job. He already looks a little better.. I'm not sure if it hurts him or not (I'd imagine yes) but he's SO clingy it's not even funny. He obviously prefers being held than going in his crib or bassinet, but it's been BAD the last 3 days. Not last night, but the night before (a lemon and a pickle came a-knockin at my door....awful awful awful) he would ONLY sleep on my chest...and it was awful for me. Absolutely awful. Last night, he slept in his swing, and it was awesome. He didn't sleep with me once! woohoo!

In any event--we have a bday party we're supposed to go to on Saturday- so I hope it's cleared up by then... I think it should be, but I'll find out on Friday. Plus Nic's grandparents are coming down this weekend too, and I don't want him to be all goopy when he sees them. It's gross.

See?


Before the warm wash cloth







After the warm wash cloth

Either way, it's so awful. Poor baby.


Causes of Pink Eye in Infants

Pink eye in infants can occur for a variety of reasons. In some cases, a baby can develop pink eye due to a bacterial or viral infection. However, this condition can also be caused by a reaction to common chemicals or because of a variety of allergens. In some instances, pink eye develops simply because of a child's blocked tear duct.

In a vast majority of cases involving pink eye, the primary culprit is bacterial conjunctivitis. Symptoms include redness in the eye and the eye's surrounding area, matting, a yellow-green discharge, itching, and/or burning. The most common treatment is topical antibiotic eye drops or ointment, but some physicians prescribe oral antibiotics which are either used alone or along with the eye drops.



No comments:

Post a Comment